Friday, September 7, 2012

New Job

I've got some very exciting news to share. You can probably guess from the title, I have a new job. It has great benefits and I start tomorrow. I'll be working at Mind, Body, Spirit and the biggest part of my job will be working on me. Okay, let me explain. I have decided to treat taking care of myself as a real job. If I do good at it the pay and benefits will be better than any job I have ever had. Let me share how this whole thing came about. 

For the past 2 and 1/2 yrs of my life, I have been trying to regain my health that really I had spent almost a lifetime slowly losing. I have tried traditional medicine, alternative medicine, and all sorts of things in between.  I have had ups and downs, twists and turns, that I never could have expected. I have tried to come to terms with the fact that I will always be fighting this. Even the thought of a lifetime fight against illness, makes me tired. Because of this whole ordeal I have begun to learn a lot about health, fitness, alternative medicine, etc...especially over the past year. The more I learn the more I am amazed by the human body and how it was designed. I truly believe that no doctor, medication, or procedure can cure me. All of those things can only aid in restoring my bodies balance and function allowing it to take care of itself. Our body truly is a miracle, and God designed it to heal itself. 

A couple of weeks ago I decided to join some friends on a mission to eat clean for 30 days. Eating clean is kind of a "buzz" phrase right now and means a little something different to everyone. In any case, having someone to be accountable to besides my husband has been a good thing for me. Although my family still has a long way to go, we have definitely made some steps in the right direction. Shortly after we began this mission I started back on antibiotics. I am currently on 2 out of the 3 that my doctor wants me to take and I have felt horrible.  I knew I needed to really focus on detoxing and have made an extra effort to use the sauna, drink water, eat good. I even did some electro lymphatic therapy and got to see my acupuncturist after a long break over the summer. While I was hoping these things would make me feel great they didn't. It has been a rough week. In fact my excitement and motivation over starting this new job this morning was interrupted by left sided chest pain and shortness of the breath that was all too familiar. I prayed that I would know if and when I needed to call 911 but deep down I had been here before and knew there was nothing they would find or be able to do for me. That however has not deterred from my goal and in fact has made me realize even more just how much I need it. 

I have been seeing lots of great pages on Facebook dedicated to health and fitness. Although many of them seek to motivate you, I have been allowing them to make me depressed. I see these amazingly fit women, talk about doing it all and I think back to when I was even a fraction of how in shape they are and I just get sad. My self confidence is in the trash, I weigh more than I ever have, I feel horrible.  How nice for them to go run and lift weights and spin their butts off. They work hard for their fitness but that isn't even an option for me. It didn't take long for me to realize that this entire time, I have been standing in my own way. When it was hard to look at my acupuncturist yesterday and answer his questions honestly about what I had been doing I realized I had a problem. Who was I?  I had become the queen of excuses. I certainly wasn't acting like the person I want to be. I began to think back to what I had accomplished in my life. Admitting that I had unknowingly been sick for so long yet I managed to: survive a full time college load while working, getting my EMT certification, working for the US Forest Service including passing their fire academy and going through fire school at Camp Pendleton, having two children while continue to work full time, doing so well in class that the CA State Fire Marshals office offered me a job, walking every step of the Breast Cancer 3 Day (about 60 miles)...I knew I had to not only take pride in my accomplishments but quit making excuses for why I couldn't achieve the health that I wanted.

As much as I considered trying to be one of those do it all women that had a Facebook page and website dedicated to health and fitness I decided that it was not the time. Believe me, going through this experience has made me consider a career in holistic type health or fitness of some sort but I know I just need to focus on the task of getting myself well. If that leads to something down the road that would be great. I have also come to realize that I do have gifts of compassion and encouragement and that I hope this "job" will allow me to use those to the best of my ability. I have decided to track this whole experience here in my blog. I found that being accountable to other people will help me stay on track and I am hoping someone, can benefit from what I share. My plan is to be honest, Including before and after pictures, my true weight, basically the good, the bad and the ugly. This isn't just about physical health though. I definitely am starting to see the mind body spirit connection. Negative thoughts can affect you physically and I plan on working on my total health. That is the only way to get better. 

So here it goes. A new phase, a new challenge. No more excuses!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this!!!! Love the idea of this being your JOB!! Because that is a great way to look at it.

    I am always amazed by you--you are such an encourager and a great friend. I don't know what my family would do without you and the influence you have had on ALL of us, but especially Caity. She has needed someone that GETS it!! I cannot thank God enough for YOU!! So add this to your list of wonderful things about yourself and your accomplishments!

    SO excited to do this with you! We have been really not doing so well, mostly because Caity has convinced us that she will join in ---but not til AFTER her birthday. So--there you have it--we will have a huge recommitment after the 15th. And we will KNOW there will be days that we do not do so well, but we will keep improving!!

    I think a big part of healing is exercise too. I know that is hard because that is the last thing on earth you feel like doing!! Our ND recommended a rebounder and I bought a used one for 20 bucks. Just a thought. Maybe a way to start. . .

    Love you friend, and I think you're amazing. . . .

    ~~Joni

    ReplyDelete